Book Reviews

Saturday, April 22, 2023

The Last Tree (A Monster Calls Fanfiction)- Part 4

The Last Tree (A Monster Calls Fanfiction)- Part 4

BBC One - A Monster Calls


Hello, this is the fourth and last installment of my ongoing fanfiction of the book A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. 

It turned out pretty well, I think, but that's just my opinion.

This story is set in a few years from the events of A Monster Calls, where the main character is still Conor but from a first-person perspective. 


Enjoy reading! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The monster scooped me up like all those years ago, and began to run at a terrible speed. Somehow, I slowly fell asleep in the giant’s rocky hands, to the rhythmic beat of its stone feet pounding the earth.


I woke up nearly thirty minutes later and rose from the dusty bare ground to see the monster crouching down at a tall, withering tree with no leaves and gnarled branches. 

After failing to wipe the sleep from my eyes (I was still wearing the gas mask), I slowly approached the monster. 

“Is that one of the remaining trees?” I ventured.

It is the remaining tree, the monster replied sadly. The other died. I am doing all I can to keep this one alive, but I do not know if it will survive the next three hours. 

“Is there any way to grow more trees? I think I’ve heard of a seed bank in Norway,” I tried desperately. 

It is not the seeds that are the problem— seed banks do exist, but the soil on the earth is severely contaminated. No seed, however healthy, can thrive in such soil. 

“Then all we need is enough dirt, right? If we can find enough good soil, we can grow trees back again.” 

Theoretically, yes. But where will you find it?

“Aren’t there greenhouses with good soil?”

Every single speck of fertile dirt goes into cultivating vegetables for everyone’s meals. There is not enough left for a bean sprout, much less an entire tree. 

“I think I read once that earthworms can make the soil better?” I was trying everything I could think of at this point.

The earthworms will die in the toxic soil. Also, there are not many earthworms left anyway. 

I thought with all my brainpower— and I saw a glint of a possibility.

“Can you make good soil inside your body?” I asked. 

I am the soil and the earth of the land, the monster replied with a humorless laugh. I may be able to cleanse some soil, and I do possess some, but I would not be able to extract it from my body. 

“Wait, so you can make good soil?”

Yes, but if you were to extract it, I would die. 

“Can you be reborn?” I asked. 

Hmm, the monster mused. I do not know. However, I have reason to believe I can live again if another tree is grown and cultivated.

“So, if this last tree dies, you’ll die too?” My voice quavered. 

Yes. The monster blew a dusty sigh. 

“I think I have a solution,” I offered. 

The monster barely lifted his head, and I noticed just how weak it had gotten. 

“Become as big as possible. Collect as much soil as you can purify, and start purifying. Now.” The monster obliged, growing as tall as a ten-story building. Now, this was the hard part. 

“I really hate to say this,” I continued, “but— but you’re going to die either way. S-so—” 

It’s fine, the monster soothed. I am here now. Continue.

“So, run back home. As fast as possible. You can carry me. While you’re running back, purify all the soil you can.” 

The monster was starting to catch on. 

When we get there, I will keep purifying until my last second, and you can collect the purified soil to grow a new tree from my remains. It said solemnly.

I nodded, unable to speak. 

Then let us hurry. 

The monster swept me up in its hands and started running home at full speed. 


An hour later I was home, clearing out the indoor shed for the new soil. The monster was hard at work inside, purifying soil.

Eventually, the monster spoke.

It is time, it said, with a gentle smile. 

I lunged forward and hugged the monster tight. It hugged me back. 

And as it slowly disintegrated into soil, I didn’t let go.


One year later…


I walked into the greenhouse-turned-shed and gave a start.

The ground where the lemon tree used to grow was bare!

What are you looking at? I heard.

I whipped around in surprise and joy to find a tiny tree monster standing there, looking up at me. 

“You are such a Groot,” I told him, pulling him into the embrace I'd waited a year for. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment