Book Reviews

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Calculetters

 

Calculetters

Scientific calculators– specifically the ones with stickers at the back showing you how to put in variables(fx-991ES)– are amazing.

In the first semester of tenth grade, I discovered that with my calculator I can type out almost every letter of the alphabet, and I even found how to use fraction signs for longer messages to fit on the small screen.

This was an amazing, amazing discovery. Wow! Amazing!

I was in love with the calculator and it became my favorite toy for a few months. Sorry, legos.

The calculator soon became a part of my daily life. I memorized how to type each letter so I didn’t have to refer to the back of the calculator, and I typed faster on the calculator than on my phone. I literally started sending my friends calculator shots instead of texting them. Messages like ‘I love legos’ and ‘recommend me a book’ were prevalent, and I probably could have cleared a few game levels in the time I typed on the calculator.


And then one day, I noticed a small problem- I could not type any of the letters J, Q, V, or W on the calculator! I could type the names of practically everyone– Able, D.Seo, Angelina, Yun, Christina, and more– but my own name was beyond my reach (including Jay, Jane, Jackie, Savannah, Ava, and Victoria’s names). More than that, I wasn’t able to type all of the 5Ws and 1H (who, what, when, where, why, how), so I couldn’t ask “what’s the answer” in calculetters. Instead, I resorted to the crude command of ‘gimme number 3 solution’ and whatnot.

Gradually, as the second semester started, there weren’t any opportunities to take out my calculator in class, leading to a decline in my calcummunication. I have yet to find innovative and legible ways to create J, Q, V, and W with my calculator.  





"Stop Procrastinating And Do Ur MP"


No comments:

Post a Comment